September 6, 2013

Bare-Bones Beauty


At Milwaukee Irish Fest we saw Kevin Burke perform. He's a talented, effortless-looking fiddler (who tells wonderful stories). Yet part of me resisted his music--fiddle, unaccompanied. Gradually I sunk into the bare-bones beauty of his playing. Why did I resist? Because I'm used to embellishment. 

By the end of Kevin's performance, I was entranced. I wholly enjoyed and appreciated the experience. This got me thinking about all the ways I crave embellishment; the ways I box in my happiness. 


Some of my preferences: for a meal to be delicious, it must have the right blend of flavors; for a book to be interesting, its telling must rivet me; for a movie to be appreciated, it must include strong acting, photography, and story. Preferences are natural. But when I link these preferences to my happiness, I create a box--a very small box. Because life isn't filled with my preferences (sigh). Life is filled with many moments of ordinary beauty. Beauty that requires a shift in perspective or a slow pause, but beauty nonetheless.


It's human nature to crave; to want something different. And this craving causes suffering--always wanting something different from what is. I find contentment when I notice bare-bones beauty; when I sink into the moment, as is. Sometimes I resist and sometimes I remember. When I remember, it's beautiful. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Joy! Just stopping by to let you know that yours is the only blog I read religiously these days. Your simple and profound observations bring tremendous joy to my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, cyndi, thanks for this thoughtful comment. i'm honored and inspired by you.

      Delete
  2. Your photos are so good, but it is your words which really are right on with me today. So good Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cathy, i'm glad my words resonated for you. i always smile when you stop by.

      Delete
  3. We become so prescriptive...and thereby lose opportunities to enjoy so much more!

    ReplyDelete