March 7, 2012

Different Viewpoint


I've written before about the Astronomy Picture of the Day. It's such a lovely way to gain perspective. I'm captivated by the above photo of the earth. Sometimes I try to hold the whole world in my heart. And it's just too much. I want to save my loved ones from pain; I want to make everything okay for my students (and for them to learn and retain everything I teach them); I want people to love and not hate each other. 

When I reach this state of too much holding & clinging, I'm no good for anyone. I lose my perspective. If I'm aware enough, I can cultivate a different viewpoint. In the words of Sharon Salzberg (Loving-Kindness): "It is a state of peace to be able to accept things as they are. This is to be at home in our own lives. We see that this universe is much too big to hold on to, but it is the perfect size for letting go."

Of course--it's absolutely the perfect size for letting go. Trust and let go. This then re-opens the ability to truly love, accept, and be present. To know we are enough (and the world is enough) just as it is.


Both photos come from the website: Astronomy Picture of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment