February 9, 2015

Self-Nurture


February. The month of love. I walked into Walgreens, in search of cold medicine. I was bombarded with hearts and candy. In those aisles, I realized who needed a Valentine; who most needed my love and attention: me. 

I can be lulled into thinking I'm doing just fine. That I know exactly how to nurture myself. But then I'm surprised. Tears arise unexpectedly or sickness seeps in. And I must listen anew. Some of my recent discoveries:

Photography feeds my soul, but sometimes the best therapy is a long walk without my camera. It's possible, and quite helpful, to meditate in the middle of a busy farmer's market. Dancing to Bruno Mars "Just the Way you Are" while looking in the mirror melts my heart. A cold is just a cold (not a judgment from the universe), and is nursed well by 12 hours of sleep. Taking a hot shower and putting on clean clothes can shift my mood. Patience is a beautiful form of kindness. Love-filled hugs work every time.

4 comments:

  1. I will be alone at Valentines day and it will be MY day. I think I finally realized that I need to meditate or walk just do do the other things I need to do. Before I was thinking of the things that makes my soul smile as things I need to squeeze in. So silly. So being in the sun today I phoned a friend and we made an one hour walk together.

    Sending lots of February hugs, yesterday was our warmest day ever in February, 12 C that is 53,6 F! In February, I know what are we doing to mother nature. Birds were singing, cats happy, humans happy... /Agnes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, isn't it interesting how self-nurture gets squeezed in only after everything else is done? i think it should be given prime position. i'm glad you'll have all of saturday to yourself. what things--both deep and silly--call to you? you can make it a day of listening. enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling better soon, and your extra sleep and self kindness is working it's magic! Sending a really big love filled hug your way for you Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hug received and gratefully accepted. thank you, debs!

      Delete