April 24, 2014

I am a Wombat


My art is mainly digital: this blog and photographs on Flickr. Most of my artistic tribe consists of online friends. And then I found the Wombats, a group--born just four months ago--of local artists. A group of talented, interesting, welcoming people. 

Here's what I love: we meet in person, share ideas, give hugs, drink beer, laugh, and support each other. And together we're hosting a pop-up gallery, "Signs of Life." We transformed an empty storefront into a space for art--both static and interactive. A space that exists for only four days. 

There's been a whirlwind of activity and many helping hands. It's an event for the community, put on by the community--a community of wombats. Tonight is the opening. I'm excited, nervous, exhausted, and extremely grateful. 

PS: Are you a Wombat, too? Creativity and art take many forms. Everyone is welcome.

PPS: I hung an interactive exhibit of my self-portraits: "Caption the Image." Stay tuned for more.

Post-opening-night update: Last night was magical. Many people came and more importantly, they engaged with the art. They interacted with music, art, and each other. I'll ride that wonderful energy for days.

6 comments:

  1. Great to meet you tonight, Joy. Beautiful photos and sharing.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, lee, it was wonderful to meet you. thanks for making time to connect with me. i'm glad you joined the wombats.

      Delete
  2. So happy to know that you found an in person group: let it flow, dearest Joy! And enjoy every single bit of it! How I'd love to live a little closer ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, wouldn't it be lovely if we could make art next to each other? someday that will happen.

      Delete
  3. That is so cool, Joy!! I'm so glad you've found your people so close to home. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, bella. i appreciate your kind words. and i'm glad you're part of my online creative tribe.

      Delete