December 10, 2014

Slow Down


The season is winter. Animals hibernate, conserving their energy. Plants go dormant, covered in snow. Darkness sits on the earth, asking it to sleep. There's a beautiful stillness in winter; a place for restoration. Yet we humans create bustle and doing. We actually choose the busyness--parties, shopping, gifting, scheduling.  

Mark and I did errands on Saturday and saw an interesting juxtaposition: holiday music declared "the most wonderful time of the year" while people with tense, tired faces pushed and rushed. We receive cards in the mail that contain no message, no intimacy. It's as if cards, gifts, and holiday cheer are on the very long to-do list. 

Remember: this is the season of hibernation. We can choose quiet and rest. We can slow down. I want to do less and appreciate more; to make deeper connections with fewer people; to minimize gifts and expand love; to work from my heart, not external pressure; and to listen to nature, as it gracefully rests.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding us of that Joy! I so much agree with you, Still I was the one sending the Christmas cards with not much of private comments. I blame this on the trip to Canary Islands Dec -13-20. Still Selma was ill this week and that makes me always to slow down a bit. There is nothing else to do. If I will not be able to write before Christmas I want to wish you wonderful holidays. And I'm so happy I found you this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i, too, am happy we found each other! no need to blame yourself for cards without words. we all take non-intimate, rushed actions at times. it's part of being human. the place for growth is when we notice. we notice, forgive ourselves, and move forward with love. much love to you, agnes!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Joy! I love these words, and needed to read them today. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a light in the world, Joy.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want you to know that I intentionally did NOT go to a party last night. :-) - Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your wise words, Joy, I'm more determined than ever to chill out this season. I can't wait to totally unplug and really be there for my kids when they are home. This is one of the most beautiful times of year, and yet "we" continue to fill it up with rushing around and claiming, with deep sighs, "Oh! We're just crazy busy right now....." Ah, but "we" chose to be crazy busy. "We" don't really have to be, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love hearing from all of you--you wise, interesting, thoughtful women. cheers to intention and choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a hard lesson to learn, it took me years to fully enjoy the entire season. You are so wise!

    ReplyDelete