June 21, 2012

Inner-Excavation


Two weeks ago I started a read-along of Liz Lamoreux's thought-provoking (and beautiful) book Inner Excavation. The read-along is lead by Liz in the most heartfelt way, and it brings together a group of diverse, interesting, and creative women (it's certainly not only for women, but no men enrolled--BTW, enrollment is still open, and it's free).

The subtitle of the book is "Explore Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media." I've long loved photography; poetry is a recent find, yet feels comfy and enjoyable; mixed media I haven't tried, but this read-along has--at the very least--gotten me to think differently about my journal (e.g., pasting in photographs, making art).

I've spent my adult life exploring my inner-self, in a multitude of ways. Some explorations more intense than others. But this particular process is different: it's steeped in creativity. The exploration is really of my own creativity and expression. I try new things, feel vulnerable, yet still share my work. The read-along group is a supportive and safe group with which to share. And some parts of me (especially the tender parts) require safety in order for sharing.

When appropriate, though, I think it's helpful to boldly share, without the benefit of a safety net. To share something with which I feel fairly comfortable, yet still makes me feel vulnerable. And then trust. Trust that whatever the reaction (or non-reaction), I am strong enough to handle it. In the words of Brene Brown: "Vulnerability is our most accurate measure of courage" (2012 TED talk).

To be brave means to be vulnerable. And I think the more brave, vulnerable acts we witness, the braver we become--the more willing we are to try something new or share some long-protected piece of ourselves (or at least consider sharing). With this in mind, I share two--very personal--pieces I recently created. [Click on the picture if you want a larger view.]

Namaste. (The light in me sees the light in you.)



9 comments:

  1. I love the bottom photo and the poem. Sensing the joy of freedom in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GraceGal (Grace?): Thanks so much for your kind comment. I'm glad you could sense the joy and freedom. Yay! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such meaningful and beautiful and beauty filled words and images. It is a joy to share this journey of Inner Excavation with you and the group. Thank you for sharing with us.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn: Deep thanks! I agree, it's a joy and an honor to share with the inner-excavation group. And I find it freeing to share more broadly, too (via this blog). All good stuff on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the combination of words and images and the sense of healing and empowerment conveyed by your work. I love seeing those two "girls" side-by-side smiling and comfortable with where they lie.

    Looking forward to the next 5 weeks of this journey with you!

    xo Lis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lis: Thanks for your kind feedback. Especially your comment about the two girls both smiling and comfortable with where they lie. Yes! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy what a treasure seeing you as a little girl and an adult woman. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joy - Little did I know when I put that photo outside your office door (I did, didn't I?) that it would end up here. Priceless! So glad you worked that transition out. - Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dad: Yes, you gave me that picture. It's long been in my journal as I reconnect with that little girl. I thought you'd particularly enjoy this pairing of photos. Big hug!

    ReplyDelete